Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Few College Tips and Tidbits

I have about six weeks of college left before the end of my first semester.  That means that I have a good nine weeks already under my belt already.  These nine weeks have taught me a lot about how college works and how it does not work.  I feel the need to tell you what I have uncovered.  Let's get started, shall we?  I'll bullet my points to make it faster and easier to read.

  • Pack in advance.
    • I literally packed all of my life into my car the day before Move-In Day.  I started at 10pm, ended at 2am, and had to leave for college at 6am.  For those of you that do not want to read between the lines, that means that I had four hours of sleep.  What was I thinking?!
  • While packing in advance, use College Packing List.
    • It's a compiled list of everything you will need in college.  Seriously, it is super helpful.  I wish I had actually used it. I will next year, that is for sure!  In addition to its awesome-ness, it also has a free, downloadable App.  So, there is no excuse for you NOT to use it.
  • Do not forget silverware and bowls/plates.
    • This is on College Packing List, but I want to make sure you do not over look them.  I had to buy them when I got to college.  They will come in handy.  Also, do not forget a can opener.  And dish soap.  And a sponge.
  • Know what your living space is going to look like.
    • I totally underestimated the amount of room my dorm provides.  As it turns out, I have a really big closet.  I had only brought thirty or so shirts at first.  Had I known it was going to be so big, I would have brought a lot more clothes.  And more clothes means less laundry- laundry is expensive.
  • You will have to take out your garbage.
    • I just thought you should know that.  I did not realize this when I got to college; I never thought about it.  For my school, they do have garbage bags at the front desk though.
  • Printers, fridges, futons, and microwaves are your friends.
    • My roommate brought the printer.  I brought the fridge and microwave.  We have no futon.  It is all working out well, but I never knew how much I would miss having a couch- something to kick back on after work.  In addition to that, I underestimated how awesome it is to have a fridge and a microwave.
    • Also, if you don't have the money for a TV, don't sweat it.  I just use my laptop and Netflix.  I can watch new shows like The Vampire Diaries on the CW website. (Or Legend of Korra on Nick.)  If all else fails, make a friend with someone that does have a TV.
  • Know when you are going to eat in your dorm.
    • Going out or eating on campus is nice, but have food in your dorm.  I know that, in the mornings, there is no way I am leaving my room any earlier then I have to so I have breakfast food on hand.  In addition to that, as a waitress, I always get home late.  I have dinner food in my room for when I am hungry after work.
  • Remember where you park.
    • Seriously, you need to write that down or something.  It is so irritating when you wonder around the parking lot for twenty minutes.
  • Trying your best is all that you can ask of yourself.
    • I admit it- I am a nerd.  I want straight A's; I am used to straight A's.  Do not get too down on yourself if you do not rock college right out of the starting gate.  It's all a learning experience.  Try your best and learn from your mistakes.
  • You have a ton of free time in college.
    • I am super involved in college.  I am in Hall Government.  I am a member of the Student Advisory Board for the department of Advertising and Journalism.  I am in theatre.  I have a pretty good social life and a job.  With all of this on my plate, I still find myself with free time.  It is important to say, however, that you need to use this free time wisely.
  • Go to that freaking party!
    • I do NOT party.  I do not even drink.  However, I strongly suggest gathering your friends and going out.  Stick together and watch out for each other, but live it up.  College does not last forever.
I might add some more things to this list down the line- there is a lot to cover and I'm not even done with my first semester yet!  Even so, I hope you found this post informative.

I'll talk to you later.

Much Love,
Me


No comments:

Post a Comment